The M.C. Smith Funeral Home was founded on January 1, 1931 at the address of 804 Lovett Street, Sandersville, Georgia by the late Mr. M.C. Smith. In August 1936, the address of the funeral home changed to the more centrally located downtown address of 117 Gilmore Street, Sandersville, Georgia, where it is presently operated.
For several years, branch offices were operated in Wrightsville and Wadley Georgia.
Mr. M.C. Smith, who died on June 17, 1976 was assisted by his first wife, the late Mrs. Mae W. Porter Smith and their son, the late Mr. Edgar P. Smith.
The management of the firm has been under the direction of his second wife, Mrs. Katie Harris Smith-Poole since 1976. She has been assisted by many, the late Mr. W.T. Lucas, the late Mr. James Kay, Mr. Marvin Harris, Sr., Mr. Marvin Harris, Jr. and Mr. B.L. Harris, Jr.
The adjacent Smith-Lucas Building was opened in 1951 by the late Mr. M.C. Smith and the late Mr. W. T. Lucas. It is a two story brick building located on Gilmore Street. At various times it has housed a dentist office, Washington County Extension Office, auditorium, beauty parlor, barber shop, grocery store, cafe and billiard parlor. The auditorium was used during the 1950's and 60's for social functions, including appearances by bands, including Little Richard and other groups.
It is now home to Gordy's Barbershop, Tin Tub Laundry and Ingenious Designs.